Green Cards for Your Family​

Spouses, fiancés, children, parents and siblings

Green Cards for Your Family​

Spouses, fiancés, children, parents and siblings

Our law firm helps and guides families on the path to receiving US Lawful Permanent Resident status.

Green Card Infographics

Click image to enlarge


Spouses of US citizens, as well as spouses of US permanent residents, can apply for green cards.  Mixed-sex marriages and same-sex marriages equally qualify for green cards.

Getting a green card after marriage is one of the fastest pathways to US citizenship.  For this reason, applications for marriage-based green cards traditionally receive a high level of scrutiny.

The scrutiny of marriage-based green card applications is intended to weed out those applications that are based on sham marriages. Extensive documentation must therefore be submitted with the corresponding visa and green card applications.

In many cases, US citizens can also sponsor the following family members for green cards:

  • Parents (sometimes including stepparents)
  • Dependent children (including stepchildren and adopted children)
  • Siblings

While the time to process green card applications for parents and children is quite fast, green card applications for siblings sometimes take more than ten years to process.



US immigration laws constantly change.  For example, in 2020 a new “public charge rule” was approved by the US Supreme Court.  This new rule, as well as other recent changes in US immigration law, must be considered when applying for a US green card.

Our law firm provides the following support for green card application for spouses, fiancés and family members:

  • Initial consultation
  • Guidance on timelines for application and travel to the US
  • Selection and completion of the right forms
  • Identification of documents needed to support the green card application

Our FAMILY-BASED GREEN CARD CONSULTATIONS provide answers to the most common questions contemplated by potential applicants:

  • What are the requirements for applying for a family-based green card?
  • What government fees will we have to pay during the green card application process?
  • What is the processing time for green card applications?
  • Can I travel to the US with ESTA and submit the green card application while I’m in the US?
  • Should my fiancé and I get married before or after we submit the green card application?
  • Can I travel to the US to visit my American spouse while the green card application is pending?
  • What are the options for speeding up the processing of the green card application?
  • How can the green card application process be shortened to just four months to accommodate my family’s emergency situation?
  • How can I live overseas for a couple of years after receiving the green card without invalidating the green card?
  • Will I be eligible for the green card if I don’t want to comply with US immigration rules regarding vaccinations?
  • Does the law firm JORDAN COUNSEL offer anything special to families of US active military members that apply for green cards, as gratitude for their service? (Spoiler alert: Yes, we do.)


Schedule Your 30-Minute Green Card Consultation

If you currently reside in the European Union

If you do NOT currently reside in the European Union

© 2024 Jordan Counsel LLC. All rights reserved